Many foods are healthy and good for you, but it takes a special food to achieve “superfood” status. The term refers to a food that’s high in nutrients and health-promoting compounds, and most importantly, has health benefits that are backed by research. Avocados are a perfect example, and one of our favorite superfoods. Not only are they incredibly nutrient dense, but they’re also a creamy, tasty compliment to so many of our menu items.
Here are four impressive reasons avocados are one superfood that should be on your plate as often as possible.
- They’re packed with heart-healthy fats. Although they’re often used as a vegetable, avocados are actually a fruit. However, unlike other fruits, they’re low in carbs and high in fat. Over 75% of their fat is “good fat” that’s linked with healthier cholesterol levels and a reduced risk of heart disease. The American Heart Association and the Dietary Guidelines both recommend eating more of these fats for better health.
- They’re incredibly nutrient-dense. With only 80 calories, one serving of avocado (about 50 grams or 1/3 of an avocado) provides almost 20 different vitamins and minerals. Research shows that avocado eaters get more nutrients in their diet than those who don’t eat avocados.
- They’re blood pressure friendly. The potassium in this tasty fruit helps to counter sodium in your diet and reduce your blood pressure. They’re also rich in inflammation-fighting compounds that promote healthier blood vessels and enhance blood flow throughout your body.
- They’re great for your blood sugar. Unlike other fruits, avocados don’t contain any sugar, and their healthy fats and fiber actually help to stabilize your blood sugar and insulin levels after a meal.
Avocados are native to Mexico, and a distinctive part of the coastal-inspired flavors on our menu, so we use a lot of them at Rubio’s. We include sliced avocados or our creamy fresh-made guacamole on most of the dishes on our menu-so you get all the benefits of this delicious superfood, at no additional charge.
If you love enjoying avocados at home too, below is a super easy recipe to serve at your next gathering.
- 1 lb Hass Avocado
- 1/8 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp lime juice
Hass avocado composition and potential health benefits. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3664913/
Love one today. Research initiative. https://loveonetoday.com/health-professionals/research-initiatives/