When the temperatures really start heating up, nothing’s better than a delicious frozen treat that cools you down. These Strawberry Lime Paletas are a more sophisticated, and healthier version of an ice pop – but they’re still so easy to make.
You say ice pop – we say paleta. What’s the difference? They’re both fruity, refreshing frozen treats on a stick, but in Mexico they take their frozen treats seriously. A paleta is way more than frozen juice or flavored water. It’s a delicious mix of fresh, pureed fruit (and lots of it), mixed with chunks of more fruit if you like (we do!) and sometimes fresh squeezed juice, sweetened milk, cream, or coconut cream.
You can get crazy and creative with your paleta flavors. Some traditional Mexican flavors include avocado, corn, mango, coconut, chili or tamarind. Or, you can keep things simple like we did here.
This Strawberry Lime Paleta is a perfect blend of sweet and tart with just a touch of spice. For the sweetest, freshest strawberry flavor, use the ripest berries you can find. We love the taste and texture of the pureed fruit with sweetened strawberry pieces mixed in. And even though it’s a bit more work, fresh squeezed lime juice tastes so much better than anything in a bottle.
Feel free to add more or less sugar (or any other type of sweetener) to taste. Making paletas is a fun summer activity to do with the kids – and a great way to learn some Spanish while you’re at it.
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Yield: 6 popsicles
Calories: 120 kcal each
- 24 oz. Fresh Strawberries
- ¼ cup Lime Juice (approx. 2-3 limes)
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp Organic Cane Sugar
- ¼ cup Water
- ¼ tsp Tajin- Optional
- 6 Popsicle molds
- Wash, remove the stems and quarter 16 oz. of strawberries (approx. 3 cups quartered)
- Add the quartered strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar to a small sauce pan. Mix and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Add water to the saucepan with the quartered strawberries and sugar. Bring strawberries to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Blend until completely smooth in a food processor or blender and refrigerate until room temperature.
- Wash, remove the stems and cut the remaining 8 oz. of strawberries into ¼ inch pieces (approx.1 ¼ cup diced). Add diced strawberries to a small bowl with 2 Tbsp of sugar and set aside.
- Once the strawberry puree is cooled add the fresh diced strawberries, lime juice and tajin.
- Fill the popsicle molds with the strawberry mixture. Put on lid with sticks and freeze for 6-8 hours.
- After the paletas are frozen and ready to eat run the mold in warm water for 10 seconds to help release the paleta.
Optional: For a creamy paleta substitute lime juice for heavy cream.