We can’t help but get excited when we feature Wild-Caught Red Argentinian Shrimp on the menu at Rubio’s. This rich, fresh, sweet-tasting wild shrimp never fails to delight our guests, and we’re thrilled to let you know — it’s back!
Rubio’s culinary team has been busy whipping up some tasty new dishes to showcase this special shellfish, and we’re sure you’ll love them. Here’s what makes wild Red Argentinian shrimp a fan favorite and why you should try them on your next trip to Rubio’s.
What Are Red Argentinian Shrimp?
Red Argentinian shrimp are wild-caught shrimp that live and are found in the icy, pristine waters off the far southeastern tip of Argentina. They’re also known as:
- Pleoticus muelleri (their Latin name)
- Wild Patagonian Red Shrimp (or pink shrimp)
- Patagonian King Prawn
These wild-caught red shrimp are unique compared to other varieties of shrimp because of their generous size, bright color, and exceptional flavor. As their name suggests, Red Argentinian shrimp are a bright, gorgeous red color even when they’re raw. That beautiful, deep color comes from their nutrient-rich ecosystem.
And because of their all-natural, cold-water habitat, they have a fresh, clean, sweet flavor. They’re known to be the sweetest shrimp in the world. In fact, many people believe their taste, as well as texture and appearance, are closer to lobster than shrimp.
A Responsibly Sourced Option
Rubio’s has always been committed to serving responsibly sourced seafood wherever possible, and our Red Argentinian shrimp is no exception. It’s always wild-caught, never farmed. This shrimp also has a relatively short reproduction cycle — with an average of just 12-16 months. Thus, there is natural sustainability to this resource.
Their short reproductive cycle along with fishery improvement regulations to further manage the stock mean wild Red Argentinian shrimp can easily be harvested without depleting the resource. The fisheries that we source from are working toward their MSC (Marine Stewardship Council) certification. They’re committed to sustainability, social responsibility, traceability, and food safety.
Rubio’s Wild-Caught Red Argentinian Shrimp Specials
Ready to try this unique, sweet, succulent treat? While they’re available, Rubio’s guests can enjoy wild-caught Red Argentinian shrimp paired with a sweet-spicy kick of honey and chipotle peppers. Our chefs have created three different menu options and you really should try them all:
Chipotle Honey Argentinian Shrimp Bowl
- Wild-caught, grilled Red Argentinian Shrimp, crisp romaine, citrus rice, and black beans topped with handmade guacamole, cilantro/onion mix, creamy chipotle sauce, a signature chipotle honey sauce, pickled red onion, and a fresh slice of lime.
Chipotle Honey Argentinian Shrimp Burrito
- Wild-caught, grilled Red Argentinian Shrimp, citrus rice, black beans, handmade guacamole, cilantro/onion mix, creamy chipotle sauce, a signature chipotle honey sauce, and pickled red onion all wrapped in a warm flour tortilla. Served with tortilla chips.
Chipotle Honey Argentinian Shrimp Two Taco Plate
- Wild-caught, grilled Red Argentinian Shrimp on top of melted three cheese blend, crisp romaine, and cilantro/onion mix. Topped with chipotle white sauce, a signature chipotle honey sauce, and pickled red onion. Served on warm flour tortillas with black beans, tortilla chips and a fresh slice of lime.