A new year is an ideal opportunity for a fresh start, and for many people, that means making some healthier changes in some diets. Whether your goal is to reduce your calories, add more plants, power up on protein, or hit a goal of seafood twice each week, Rubio’s has you covered. We have plenty of options, and our menu is designed to let you substitute or tailor your meal to your dietary preferences.
Here’s a look at some of the most popular eating patterns, and how Rubio’s makes mealtime easier for you — no matter which diet you follow.
Vegan and Vegetarian Options
A vegan diet restricts animal products like meat, chicken, fish, dairy, and eggs — but all plant foods get the green light. Vegetarian diets are built on a base of plants but often include some eggs or dairy. Both options can be a healthy way to incorporate more plants into your diet.
Whether you follow these diet patterns strictly or just occasionally, we’ve got plenty of plant-based proteins for you, like Impossible™ Meat, made from plants, beans, and quinoa. And our grilled veggie entrees are made with a blend of cauliflower, poblanos, red bell peppers, fire-roasted corn, and red onion marinated in garlic, lemon, and sea salt. They’re the highlight of our vegan and vegetarian menu options.
When you want to go vegan or vegetarian, these tasty options fit perfectly:
- Verde Veggie Taco Plate (vegetarian)
- California Bowl with Impossible™ Meat or no added protein (vegetarian or request no chipotle white sauce for vegan)
- Burrito Especial with Grilled Veggies (vegetarian, or request no chipotle white sauce for vegan)
- Cilantro Lime Quinoa Bowl with Grilled Veggies (vegan)
Keto Diet Options
A keto diet is very low in carbs, moderate in protein, and high in fat. When you eat keto (or even low carb), you’ll want to steer clear of grains like rice, wheat, or quinoa. You’ll probably want to limit beans, corn, and fruit because they’re high in carbs. Don’t worry though, with options like cauliflower rice, keto-style tortillas, and healthy fat-rich guacamole, eating keto at Rubio’s is a snap.
Try these keto-friendly options:
- Balsamic and Veggie Roasted Salad with all-natural steak or responsibly sourced salmon (add chipotle ranch dressing and extra cheese if you like)
- California Bowl with all-natural steak, cauliflower rice, and no beans
- Original Fish Taco® wrapped in a toasted cheese “tortilla”
- Chopped Salad with responsibly sourced salmon (request no tortilla chips)
Pescatarian (Fish and Seafood) Diet Options
Pescatarians eat fish and seafood but limit meat, chicken, and sometimes eggs and dairy. Eating more fish is a great way to get more of those heart-healthy omega-3 fats in your diet. If you’re a fish or seafood eater (or you want to be), you’re in the right place at Rubio’s.
From wild Alaska pollock to wild-caught mahi-mahi, to responsibly sourced shrimp and salmon and seasonal Langostino lobster, we have plenty of tasty options for those on a pescatarian diet. Don’t miss some of our most popular seafood items:
- The Original Fish Taco – it’s voted #1 Fish Taco on USA Today
- Ancho Citrus Shrimp Burrito
- Wild-Caught Mahi Mahi Taco Plate
- Mango Avocado Salad with Grilled Salmon
If you’re limiting gluten, we offer a wide variety of menu items that are naturally gluten-free, and we can substitute items like stone-ground corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas on our taco plates. Please note, due to the possibility of cross-contamination when preparing menu items, we can’t guarantee any foods are free of any allergen or ingredient.
These menu items are naturally gluten-free:
- Any of our taco plates — just order them with stone-ground corn tortillas
- California Bowl with Grilled Veggies and your choice of protein
- Cilantro Lime Quinoa Bowl with Grilled Veggies and your choice of protein
- Chopped Salad with your choice of protein
Under 600 Calorie Options
There’s great news if you’re trying to trim some calories but not sacrifice flavor in the New Year. Rubio’s has plenty of lower-calorie options full of mouth-watering ingredients for under 600 calories. Here are a few of our featured items:
- California Bowl with Cauliflower Rice and Grilled Chicken: Cauliflower Rice seasoned with citrus and cilantro, romaine lettuce, black beans, guacamole, salsa fresca, creamy chipotle sauce, and your choice of roasted chipotle salsa or salsa verde. Served with grilled all-natural chicken. (Plus only 10 grams net carbs)
- Wild-Caught Mahi Mahi Two Taco Plate with Cauliflower Rice and Black Beans: Wild-caught mahi mahi topped with fire-roasted corn, creamy chipotle sauce, cilantro/onion mix, and cabbage served on a warm stone-ground corn tortilla. Served with cauliflower rice and black beans. (Only 4 grams sugar)
- Avocado Corn Taco Salad with Grilled Shrimp: Sustainably sourced grilled shrimp, Romaine, black beans, roasted corn, salsa fresca, tortilla strips, sliced Haas avocado, and a signature pickled jalapeno ranch dressing. (Only 15 grams net carbs)
- Chopped Salad with Grilled Chicken: Grilled all-natural chicken served with cheese, tortilla strips, salsa fresca, cabbage, and romaine with chipotle ranch dressing. (Plus 28 grams of protein)
No matter how you like to eat, there’s no shortage of options at Rubio’s. For a complete listing of diet and nutrition options, search our nutrition filter, or the Dietary Menus option on our website. Or just ask your server to substitute ingredients when you order.