It’s easy to overindulge on sweets, carbs, and comfort foods during the holidays and throughout the winter. However, adding more fish to your meals is a delicious way to balance things out and keep weeknight dinners on the healthier side. Plus, fish is always quick and easy to prepare, so it’s a great choice for any night of the week.
There are so many things to love about this easy pan-seared halibut. It’s lean and light, but also packed with protein, which makes it extra satisfying. Topped with a colorful and flavorful avocado grapefruit salsa, this entire dish is full of all the good things your body is craving. It’s the perfect recovery food after a few too many holiday treats and a tasty way to ring in the New Year. This recipe is great as is or serve it with a side of cilantro brown rice, black beans, or sweet potato fries.
Winter citrus fruits are in peak season right now, and we love the refreshing zing of grapefruit. Grapefruit ranges in color from white and pink, to orange and red, and there are more than 20 varieties of this sweet, tart, and tangy fruit available. Try mixing a few different varieties together to make this refreshing avocado grapefruit salsa. The pop of different flavors and textures is a treat for your eyes and taste buds.
Total Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Yield: 4 people
Calories: 410 kcal/serving
- 4 (6 ounce) wild-caught halibut filets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt and pepper
Avocado Grapefruit Salsa
- 1 grapefruit, coarsely diced
- 1 medium avocado diced into 1/2″ cubes
- 1/8 red onion, diced finely
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil (about 15 leaves)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 2 teaspoons agave syrup or sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Chili Lime Butter
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (about a half lime)
- Zest of 1 lime
- On a large plate or shallow pan season both sides of the halibut filets with sea salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with the garlic and toss.
- For the avocado grapefruit salsa gently mix the grapefruit, avocado, onion, basil, lime juice, agave and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Melt the salted butter in a small bowl in the microwave. Stir in the lime juice, lime zest and chili powder and set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Place each halibut filet in the skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 145F.
- Remove the halibut from the skillet. Drizzle each filet with the chili lime butter and top with the avocado grapefruit salsa. Garnish with fresh basil.