We recently posted an article about how to help preserve our oceans, rivers and lakes by replacing everyday household items with reusable items. You can also help protect our oceans, lakes and rivers by getting involved with organizations in your community.
Surfrider Foundation – The Surfrider Foundation, founded in 1984, has grown to 81 Chapters plus 85 Youth Clubs around the country. The Surfrider Foundation’s mission is dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world’s oceans, waters and beaches through a powerful activist network. They focus their efforts on five key areas; Beach Access, Clean Water, Ocean Protection, Coastal Preservation and Plastic Pollution.
There are three main ways to get involved with the Surfrider Foundation:
- Volunteer – Search here for your local chapter and help out at a beach clean-up.
- Set up a tribute and ask your friends to donate in lieu of birthday gifts
- Create your own fundraiser for Surfrider Foundation
American Rivers – Did you know that two-thirds of our drinking water comes from rivers and streams? The Colorado River alone sustains more than 36 million people across seven states, from Denver to Los Angeles. The mission of American Rivers is to protect wild rivers, restore damaged rivers and conserve clean water for people and nature.
Here are some ways you can get involved:
- Volunteer – You can organize your own clean-up or volunteer at an American Rivers’ organized clean-up
- Start your own fundraiser – If you don’t have time to volunteer, then get your friends and family involved and raise money to support clean rivers.
- Amazon Smile – When you shop through Amazon Smile, Amazon will donate to American Rivers when you select them as your charitable organization.
The Ocean Project – The Ocean Project helps coordinate World Oceans Day. World Oceans Day encourages the entire globe to celebrate and help clean-up the ocean on June 8th every year. There will be thousands of clean-up events on Saturday, June 8th. To find one near you click here.
Rubio’s is celebrating World Oceans Day on Friday, June 7 and Saturday, June 8, 2019 by providing a FREE reusable, insulated lunch bag, as a replacement to using paper or plastic bags, with any purchase. Click here to download the offer.