Winter’s here, and while soups and casseroles might top the list of your go-to recipes this time of the year, salads still deserve a spot on your dinner (or holiday) table. Not only do they give you a break from all the comfort food and holiday treats, but also, winter salads are a great opportunity to look at seasonal vegetables in a whole different light.
This Chipotle Honey Harvest Salad is colorful, festive and so full of flavor – you’ll definitely be coming back for more. The mix of roasted and fresh seasonal vegetables, chewy, nutty whole grain farro, and crisp pickled red onions is so satisfying. It has a little bit of everything to delight your tastebuds.
With all of its bright colors, flavors, and textures, this harvest salad makes a delicious side or starter dish for any family meal. And it’s also special enough to serve as a healthier salad option for a holiday gathering. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Chipotle Honey Harvest Salad
Serves 6-8 people
- 2 cups peeled and cubed sweet potato
- 12 brussel sprouts, halved
- 1 ear fresh corn, cut from the cob (3/4 cup)
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 3 cups arugula
- 5 cups cooked farro
- ¼ cup cotija cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup candied walnuts
- 1 ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- On a large sheet pan lined with wax or parchment paper toss the sweet potato, halved brussel sprouts, and fresh corn with 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp salt, black pepper, and the garlic powder. Spread out in an even layer and bake for 20 minutes, flipping once half way through. Let cool.
- In a small pot bring ½ cup apple cider vinegar, ½ cup water, ¼ tsp salt, and sugar to a simmer. Remove from the heat and stir in the sliced red onion. Let sit for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- In a small bowl whisk together ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, ½ tsp salt, honey, chipotle powder, and lemon juice. In a steady stream, slowly pour a ½ cup olive oil while whisking vigorously.
- Place the arugula in a large serving bowl, top with cooked farro, roasted vegetables, cotija cheese, candied walnuts, and pickled red onion.
- Toss with the desired amount of dressing and serve.