It’s hard to believe the 4th of July is here already. The traditional celebrations might be scaled back for many of us this year, but no matter how you’re celebrating, we’ve got a cool and delicious banana split dessert idea to top things off.
This is Rubio’s version of the traditional all-American summer ice cream treat – with a Mexican twist. In addition to bananas, it features our own amazing cinnamon sugar churros, and of course, a drizzle of chocolate with a kick of spice.
Check out our Instagram TV here, and watch Ralph Rubio make this delicious dessert himself. Don’t forget to follow @RubiosCoastalGrill on Instagram for special offers, contests, and a behind the scenes look at your favorite coastal-inspired Mexican restaurant.
1 Small handful of Chile Peanuts
1 Banana (firm, slightly under ripe)
2 Rubio’s Cinnamon and Sugar Churros
1 tablespoon Light Brown Sugar
2 tablespoon Salted Butter
Generous drizzle of Chocolate Sauce or Syrup such as Abuelita or Ghirardelli brands
2 Large Scoops of Ice Cream: Vanilla Bean preferred, pick a favorite or try something new (salted caramel, horchata, etc.)
Fresh Strawberries and blueberries
Ice Cream Scooper
Plate for caramelized bananas
Plate for presentation
- Cut the churros in halve both lengthwise and across to create eight pieces. Lay the pieces on a long plate with the soft side down and the crispy side up.
- Peel and slice the banana into 1/4” – 3/8” rings; any smaller and they’ll be too challenging to properly cook.
- Place the butter in a large frying pan on medium low heat. Once the butter melts, add the brown sugar to the pan. Quickly lay each banana slice down and cook for 1 minute. Flip each slice, turn off heat and cook for additional minute.
- Remove bananas from the heat and transfer to a plate; allow to cool for a few minutes otherwise they’ll melt the ice cream once applied.
- Place two scoops of ice cream on the churros. Apply a generous drizzle of chocolate sauce/syrup, add the chile peanuts, layer on the sliced bananas and top with fresh strawberries and blueberries. Enjoy!
Serves 1-2 people.